Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Wednesday, June 16, 2010

CPSE to CSE & everything in between

At 15 months old, Caden entered the EI Program(early intervention), 2 years ago at 3 years old he transitioned to the CPSE program (commitee of preschool education) and started at Gateway Theraputic Preschool. This year at 5 years old, he will transition yet again to CSE (commitee of school education), and attend Alden Primary School in Alden, NY (not our district school, which would be Cayuga heights, in Depew)

He's growing up on us. Yesterday we had our CSE meeting to determine what will happen to him come September, since he is of kindergarden age {when did THAT HAPPEN??} We actually found a 6:1:1 classroom for him in Alden Central School District. Alden is a small town, Not to far from us, maybe 15-20 mintues from us. My choices were Cheektowaga (a HUGE district) or Alden. I choose Alden for the smallness of it. And I know it's a better system then Cheektowaga. Alden has 2 6:1:1 classes, so occasionly they will intergrate the 2 classes together. Lunch and gym are intergrated with typical students as well. Lunch conerns me, but we'll play that by ear I guess. He'll be on a small bus still, which I am happy about. I walked into the meeting yesterday, a bit akward. I am very used to the CPSE meetings, where you have a parent rep with you, and a school rep. as well. Not this time. There 5 other teachers there. that was IT. I felt very alone. I *HATE* having to do this all alone all the time anyway, and yesterday was just that much worse. I was already stressing, and this just added to it. We read off Caden's goal and achimements and noted where he currently was. In MOST area's he is still functioning at around 36 months, which seems about right. I am waiting to get a call back from from the BOCES program that he'll be in so I can go and tour the school and classroom. Being that it's the last week of school, I hope this happens SOON, so I can see them in action! He will continue to get his OT and speech. I actually got to meet his OT yesterday, she was great and has an autistic daughter as well, so understood that on the "outside" Caden is fine. You have to dig deep to be able to help him. I also met the SP who will be writing the goals for Caden. She was very nice and helpful as well. We are actually going to start him in some group theapy as well. 1 OT and 1 Speech session will be group based to up that peer interaction that he so badly needs.

In the meantime, Caden will continue to get Summer services through Gateway. Last week we had yet another loop thrown at us, explaing that Caden's class was MOVING to a new school *sigh* This bothered me on many, many levels. First I just fought by BUTT off to get Colin in gateway, so they would be together for a little bit. Colin would have Caden on the bus and in school and he would transition easy. Not so much. Now they will be on different busses in different schools. *bummer* The school that they are moving too, will intergrate Caden's class with typical children. 8 of them. 6 plus 8 = 14. yep. 14 kids in one class. I dont' see this working out so well. Again, I just fought my BUTT off to get Caden a 6:1:1 class for september and now he's in a class of 14 for summer? With a NEW teacher? NEW building? NEW thearapists?? Talk about change. This is major. I have NO idea what the next few weeks will hold for us. Neither boys handles transition/change well at all. they are both going through major changes in this time period. I am going to plan for the worst and hope for the best. I guess it's the best we can do right?

Caden may suprise me and handle it well. Colin too. BUT remember that summer is only 6 weeks long, then Caden gets thrown AGAIN into a new class and new building again. The next few months we are going to do what ever we have to do to keep things at home as simple as possible to make for smooth transitions.

1 comment:

Burnhams said...

*sigh* you would think that since MOST of these kids dont handle transition or change AT ALL they would not change so much, that is too many changes in 6 weeks. wow. poor kid, poor you!

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"