Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Monday, September 28, 2009

Dedication

We all know that as parents we would do anything to help our kids. We hate to see them struggling. We also know that there are some parents out there that just "have kids". Thankfully I've never REALLY come across too many of these in my path. Don't get me wrong, I do know a few people that yes, they have kids, however are they actually the ones raising them? Not likely. It bothers me. Well - my whole reason for this post is because of Caden. As I said before Caden has been going through a sort of regression. I am not sure what did or didn't start it or what sets it off. He is beginning to talk a TON more, which is SO amazing to hear, however with every great accomplishment and progress, comes regression in other areas. It's just how disabilities work. Take the good with the bad, accept the one step forward and two back. Well being as hands on with Caden as I can possibly be, I continuously keep the lines of communication open at school. I wrote a letter to school last week stating my concerns and issues that I felt needed to be addressed. I also wanted everyone in caden's team to know we were going on vacation, so he would have their reassurance while Mike & I were out of town as well. I was SHOCKED when I opened his notebook on Friday evening and saw what had been written back to me on his daily report. His TA (assistant) wrote
"Thank you for your note and letting us know or your concerns. Thank you SO much for your dedication to your son!!"
What totally threw me, was the dedication to my son. Why would I NOT be dedicated to him and do whatever I could possible do to help him?? It's not that I am not dedicated to him, obviously I am, I just couldn't believe they thought it was that big of a deal. It really made me feel as if I've done well for him. Are there THAT many parents out there who aren't dedicated to their children, special needs or not? It is beyond me how you can be a parent and not give your children your undivided attention, love, care, knowledge and want the best for them always??!! I wonder how many children are out there struggling with possibly the same disabilities as Caden, yet will never get any diagnosis or therapy because the parents don't care enough to bring it to someones attention. Those poor children might fall through every crack, until someday, during elementary or even possibly middle school, one teacher will care enough to take that child and give them the direction that very much needed during those important early intervention 0-3 years.

I just had to share this because it was bothering me. I guess that is why we do believe that god doesn't give us any more then we can handle. I know we question this ALL the time, but it's times like this that you know you've done right but it.

No comments:

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"