Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sleep is so overrated anyway

I swear I feel like we have 2 newborns in the house. I am SO exhausted. Sometimes I sit here and wonder what i did to these kids that they Misbehave so badly and NEVER sleep? I wonder what I could have done differently during my pregnancy to make them more average? And what is it about my parenting skills that I messed up SO badly on?? I like to think I did OK with Courtney, and back then it really was just her and I for the most part, until Mike came along just before her 3rd birthday - so what in the WORLD did I do so wrong with the boys??

***SIGH***
Seriously though - I wish I could find a way to make sleep happen in my house after 4am. Currently it just is NOT there. Caden began to finally sleep in his own bed a couple months ago, and had began sleeping through the night months before that with his weighted blanket and wrap. Since he's been back to school though, we gone through a rough patch and have seen a bit of regression in his daily behavior, as well as potty and sleep patterns too. So we are back to waking up multiple times during the night, having to be either touched, re-covered and just an "are you OK baby"? The best part is since Mike doesn't leave for work at 2am anymore, I can *sometimes* (I stress that since he sleeps like a log) get him to go and do the dirty work. For the past week however, we haven't been able to easily get him back to sleep. He has actually taken to coming into bed with us. Before he would only come after Mike left, now it's the 3 of us alot of the time. AND he needs his hand to be held. I love my children, and would do anything for them. But I also need sleep and making sure that I am holding his hand for 3 hours is not as easy as it may seem. As soon as I slip off to sleep and my hand unlatches his, he is up patting for me yet again. My saving grace is that at least he is old enough to just "lay" in bed, awake or not and not need me to "get" up with him. He might be in bed with me, but at least I am horizontal and not parallel! :-)
Moving onto Colin ~ Who is actually SO MUCH WORSE THEN CADEN!! What the heck??? Unlike Caden, he doesn't stay in Bed. He gets out and doesn't get back in. So what time has Colin been up this week?? Well last Saturday was 6:30am, Sunday was 5:45am, Monday 4:45am, Tuesday was ~ are you ready?~ 4:15AM!!!! ARGH! Today was... 5:00am. By those times, Caden is already in bed with me, so once Colin gets up, all 3 of us are up. I just can't figure out what to do get him to sleep, or at least go back to bed. We've put him back and closed his door, gave him juice, a couple times even cereal (yes, were bad, sit in bed and eat so we can sleep!) It lasts all of.... 5 minutes! We've put him/them to bed later, put them to bed earlier. Tried a shorter nap/longer nap, no nap! It doesn't work.
So what is the BEST part of us going on vacation with out kids???
I WILL sleep past 6:30am, even if I have to miss something exciting, I am SO looking forward to sleeping and not being woke up to someone under 4 feet tall!!
As a side note, we are open to ANY and ALL suggestions to get these little boys of ours to sleep until at least 7:00am. Courtney By the way ~ Sleeps like a rock! :-)

No comments:

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"