Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Saturday, April 17, 2010

My First ever race ~ Official Time 39:19!

Here I am getting ready to go. a  We'll start with the weather, It was 37 when we woke up, and cloudy. I can deal with cloudy. Then I went outside. Holy WIND! :-) I think I could have done even better if it wasn't for that wind! So by the time we were leaving for the race, it was getting sunny out and i was feeling MUCH better about the day. I wasn't nervous or anything which was pretty suprising for me! We got there, got a drink and waited inside where it was {much} warmer! Here I am with my mom and Courtney (like the teenage attitude?Ugh) And here I am with hubby before. bad picture. "Just before they called us to head out the starting line, it began a rain/snow mix! yuck. I was freaking out. We grabbed hubby's windbreaker to wear over my jacket so I didn't get too wet, however the Zipper broke off, LOL so we had to pin it closed! we are such dorks!! Well guess what??? Just as they were saying the prayer to send us off, it stopped! What a blessing!! 
 
So off we went! 

I ran the first 1.5 miles without stopping. Just after 1.5 I had a to stop for a couple mintues. The best part about the first mile was getting cheered on!! I've mentioned before that my very best friend passed away suddenly 2 years ago April 4th. Well her sister lives along the race route and I still keep in touch with the family. So Amy and her daughter were out there cheering me on and had a HUGE sign that said GO KYM!! I was cracking up. It made me feel SO good and I know Jen is up there smiling down and as proud of me as she could possibly be. 

Hubby, My mom and Courtney drove along the route and suprised me at 3 different spots to cheer me on as well! It was great to get so much support. When I hit the 2 mile mark they had volunteers giving us our time. I was at 24:16! I couldn't believe it. that's the fastest I have run yet!! 

The mile was by far the hardest. there were 2 pretty decent size hills that we had to go up, so I just paced myself and walked a bunch of times. Once i got in the home stretch thought I kicked it up in high gear. It's so great to have all those people that you don't even know at the finish line cheering you on!! 

My official end time??!! 39:19! I couldn't be more happy or proud of that at all. My goal was 53:47, and I blew that way out , so I am happy. I was suprised that I wasn't even sore after or tired either. I did take 2 motrin before we left this morning, since I KNOW how my legs react afterwards, and I am glad I did to avoid how uncomfortable I know I get. We then had hot dogs and baked good and TONS of water. I was parched!! What I couldn't get over was the amount of beer!! Geez, doesn't that defeat the purpose of running over 3 miles?? not to mention that it was only 11:45 in the morning!! LOL 

So here is my offical time stamp. so super proud of it. I did come home and take a 1.5 hour nap and woke up super sore. Took more motrin and headed to my dads for a quick dinner! (and the boys wanted to use grandpas vacuum of course!)  

all in all though, I had a ton of fun. I am running my 2nd one on May 8th and 3rd on June 6th. I never would have though 2 months ago that I could ever run 10 minutes let alone a 5K! I never could have done this without the support of all you wonderful spark friends of mine. Especially Trish & Becky. You both have pushed me and got me to where I am today. Thank you for that girls!! You are ALL the reason why I've got to where I am! Thank you Spark!

No comments:

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"