Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Friday, September 10, 2010

Mike's Pond

So after {years} of wanting a pond, Mike has finally got one. He found a liner on ebay one day for $15, so I told him to go ahead and get it. Once we got it, we discovered that it wasn't indeed a liner, but the underlayment for UNDER the liner. Needless to say, Mike had already begun digging his hole in excitment. I was actually getting excited too, thinking this may end up after all, being a cheap project! No so much.

After the first (HUGE) hole was dug, I wasn't happy with where it was. It was in front of the swing set, but SO close to the swings, that if a child feel off, they for sure would have hit their head on a rock or worse. So I had the thought of moving it to the other side of the slide, by the rock wall.  I asked Mike to wait patiently for me to get back from dropping off Courtney so we can discuss where it would be. Alas, in his excitement {again} he began digging hole #2. I again, didn't like it. By this time (days had gone by mind you) Mike was tired of digging (however keep in mind, I never told him to dig the 2nd time) and quite a bit moody (sorry honey!)  We also still had NO liner, no rocks to line the pond, nor pump, filter or fountain. After doing some research of my own, all of these seperatly would have ended up costing well over $300 - um so much for our cheap project huh??!!

I took a 1/2 day one friday, grabbed Courtney and was DETERMINDED to get Mike a pond. Well being late August, selections were pretty nill. After 5 stores, our last stop had this awesome pond! It came with the plastic form, the waterfall, pump, filter and fountain for $150!! What???? I didn't care at this point if he liked what I chose or not, this was GOING to be our new pond. Thankfully when Mike got home, he did like it. We moved {and sold} the kids old climbing center {they never used it anymore anyway} and made space for the pond. Our friend Jason came over the next morning and helped Mike dig, about 2.5-3 feet down. We only hit a cable line once. {yeah we had to readjust a little bit} In the end it did turn out nice. (and not so expensive either!) I found us some free water plants on craigslist and we have a quick pond! Next year the garden will extend right back to the waterfall, so we don't have any empty spaces back there. We are also going to take the white rock out, and I think that will make it look MUCH nicer. I think the white rock is way to much when the pond itself already has defination to it. But here's is our new backyard water feature! Oh yea ~ Thank you to Jason too, for helping to dig and giving us the underwater light!
We have  a TON more water plants in here now, I'll get more pictures later on. Maybe after I get rid of the white rock.

No comments:

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"