Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Colin's Surgery

This was interesting to say the least. Ok.......I lied. It was Horrible! So much worse then I ever imagined it would have gone. Especially since we had been through previous surgeries with both Him AND Caden! Geez.... I have to tell you, I firmly believe that God has one amazing sense of humor, because I have NO idea what he is thinking blessing us with this child!

So We wake Colin up just as we walk out the door, all is good from that point until we get signed in and they register us. That is when they have to put the wrist band on him. I suggested doing his ankle to avoid him seeing it, so it won't put him in sensory overload. So we do it. *failed* That didn't go so well. For the next 10 minutes while we are waiting in the waiting room to get called back he is screaming, crying and kicking to get this off! Then they take us back to do his vitals and this wonderful nurse cuts it off and give me a new one to hold onto and we'll try his wrist with it. I just held it, hoping and praying that would forget about it! LOL They didn't. Vitals were hard, but we manged to get blood pressure, that was about it. Then to patient holding area. Of course he won't sit in the crib. Of course he won't put on the hospital gown and of course they now tell us he needs to put the darn wristband back on! Argh! he is already in meltdown mode as it is. So as I am fighting to get him dressed the anesthesiologist comes to talk to us, and of course I can't really understand most of what he's saying and I have a SCREAMING child to start off. So as we get him dressed in the gown, I break down and we start to put his PJ bottoms back on him for some comfort all while he is still trying to rip the bracelet off screaming that it hurts and I am "trying" to explain to this guy why he is acting the way he is acting. They don't get it. They were nice and all, but they don't get it. So "thankfully" he ordered us a liquid sedative immediately to get him settled down.

That Stuff is amazing! I want some for home!

I REALLY am not lying to you, these pictures are after the wonderful med!

Colin was still fighting the gown so the nurse that was going to be in surgery with us told us to not worry about it and get him dressed. (bless her!) So Colin went into surgery with his PJ's on. Worked for me. In the meantime, the sedative started working and Colin was ALL better. He was like a drunken sailor. He kept pulling at the bracelet telling us it hurt while he was laughing. If you said anything to him he would crack up. It was quite funny. We couldn't put him down since he would fall, so I held him in the rocking chair until they carried him into surgery. Once they did that, Mike and I went down for a super quick breakfast and to wait for the doc to come out and talk to us.

30 fast minutes later, all done. Now we wait for them to call me back to recovery. So I am looking forward to this part. I've been here and done this. The kids are just waking up and want to cuddle with mommy . Caden did it, Colin did it last time. So they call me back. As soon as they open the door to the hallway, you HEAR the screams. Colin ~ not so much for the cuddling thing this time. He wanted to O2 thing off. He wanted the blood pressure cuff Off. he wanted the IV out. He wanted to NOT be touched. He wouldn't drink. He was PISSED off to put it mildly. The poor nurses. There was 3 of them and me holding him down trying to settle him. It wasn't happening at all. It was then that he ripped the IV out and blood went all over the place. mostly on me. All over my shirt, my neck (ick!) the floor, nurses, you get the picture. We got that settled down, bleeding stopped and there was no getting him to drink or calm down, so they called Mike back too (even though only 1 parent can go in recovery) about 30 minutes later, between all of us and 2 Popsicles later we got him calm enough to move out of recovery to the holding center to head home. I was SO ready to be done by this time. Totally exhausted. blah, blah, blah.

We finally got to leave, we get home and this kid won't SLEEP still! One would think after all of that, plus anesthesia he would need to rest?? not Colin. 45 minutes is all we've gotten so far and it's not 3:50pm. I can NOT wait for Mike to get home! LOL Thankfully he is drinking tons of fluids and munching on everything and wetting diapers, but geez, we both need rest!

So I am hoping we require no more surgeries in the near or far future. And I've now realized too, just how much Colin does needs OT, since this was SO much worse then anything I could even have imagined. He is WAY WAY sensory overload to put it mildly.

All in all though, Colin is doing fine surgery wise. I am exhausted, my shirt is ruined (LOL), the nurses have a headache and Mike probably doesn't want to come home from work, But Colin is fine!

No comments:

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"