Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Thursday, January 21, 2010

A look into the night at the Beyer House

After a dose of melatonin both boys were in bed by 8:30 (which is not typical for Col, but I bought more melatonin last night, so we are good for a bit) Mike and I went to bed about 10:15, after laying there talking for about 5-10 minutes, I hear a kid. It was Colin, so Mike went in there settled him back in and came back to bed. Off to sleep we go. This is always the most peaceful time of my sleep. It’s after midnight when things go downhill!

At 12:30 Caden wakes up crying because he has to go potty (he doesn’t wear pull ups to bed, he wears underwear, but he won’t go potty without us knowing that he has to go?! {Even during the day!}) So up I get, take him to the potty and get back to bed.

At 1:25 Colin wakes up and comes to our room. This was actually a decent night because he didn’t wake up with an anxiety attack, he just woke up calmly. Of course the only way to get him back to sleep is for you to sleep with him. So I grab my pillow and head into bed with him.

At 3:00 Colin wakes up again. Thankfully I am already in bed with him, so it was an easy fix. Re-cover him and reassure him that I am sleeping right next to him. Back to sleep we go.

At 4:50 Caden wakes up screaming my name. I am disorientated at this point and just yell to come sleep with me, not realizing at the time that I was still sleeping with Colin.

At 5:10 apparently Caden didn’t get up and go in my bed, because he is still yelling, and I was still sleeping with Colin. So I get out of Col’s bed and go in my room with Caden. Since Mike didn’t have to be at work until a bit later today, he was still in bed, so we shoved everyone over and in bed with daddy, Caden and I went.

5:30 – Mike’s first alarm goes off.
5:45 – My first alarm goes off.
**sigh, yawn, I hate weekdays!**
6:00 – My second alarm goes off, Mike turned his phone on vibrate, so I have no idea what happened to his alarms after this.

I got up then and went into the shower as I typically do. As I am showering I here my name (mommy) being yelled. *sigh* can’t even shower at 6am in peace! As I am getting out, the cat is meowing at me, and then I thought maybe I didn’t hear my name, maybe the cat was meowing and it sounded like mommy? Hm….. Continue drying off…. Nope, there is the distinct sound of Caden yelling Mommy from the living room. Off I go to see what is going on, he was laying on the couch {in the dark}, cold and wanted covered up and Mickey on!??!! What??? Daddy is in bed sleeping, I am showering, why not go and wake up daddy?? Thankfully he didn’t wake up Colin by yelling, or I would have been not a happy mommy.

6:35 Colin wakes up, and my crazy, chaotic, non-stop day begins……….. {Not to mention the crying, throwing, biting fits that happened between 6:45 and 7:10 when we got in the car ~ and the fact that their are split cheerios all over the living room and kitchen, that I won't have time to even start to clean up before therapy at 5}

Tonight we have Occupational Therapy, right at 5pm, after work which is typical meltdown transition period, usually lasting for 1.5+ hours. I am hoping that Katie actually sees what our typical evening is like!

So this is an example of most of my nights. And it was a pretty good one at that. I managed to get a decent couple hours here and there. Actually going into bed with Colin helps and makes it easier when he wakes up, but in the end, it is not ideal, nor is it very comfortable. And I want my own bed!

2 comments:

Burnhams said...

holy posts. love the converstaion with Col. The vaccuum pics are great too!

Peg said...

I lay with Eric and Andy in their bed (they share a queen). Eric usually ends up in my bed with me when I give up with him in his room, and Andy comes in later in the night. I don't know how you feel about your kids in bed with you, but maybe it would be easier than going to his bed.

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"