Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Retaliation?

Last night Caden & Colin were playing together with the laundry chute. Colin would be at the top and Caden was at the bottom waiting for Colin to throw things down at him. (they were using a sock for most of this) they would then, meet on the stairs, Caden would give the sock back to Colin and Colin would throw it down again. They were doing this for a good 5-10 minutes. Laughing so hard, having so much fun. Mike and I were standing in the kitchen laughing at Colin running back and forth from the hall to the basement stairs.

Well at one point Col said that he was thirsty, so he grabbed his juice (thankfully, since i had put melatonin in it just 5 minutes before that, it was about 7:45pm at this point) and started drinking it. He had the sock in one hand, the 9 oz sippy cup in the other. He walked back to the chute...... and threw down the SIPPY CUP! All you hear is Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa loudly coming from the basement. I run down there and Caden is sitting on top of the freezer, directly under the laundry chute (apparently they were throwing things so it landing directly on Caden's head/face) with his face in his hands, crying so loudly it broke my heart. I move his hands and his nose was bleeding. Mike got him upstairs, on the counter so we could get ice on it and get the blood cleaned up. I was worried that his nose may have been broken. Those sippy cups are HARD and it was FULL with 9 oz of liquid and dropped from one story up, so it was coming down FAST! It left a mark too, it looked like it hit him right in the boney bridge part of his nose.

Eventually we got it cleaned up enough and brought him out to the living room to settle him down. 10 Minutes later his was STILL screaming bloody murder, so I was worried that I should maybe call then doctor. Caden then started telling me to call the doctor for him. *sigh* he never asks to go to the doctor. So I called our neighbor, Cathy, who is a nurse. I knew she would let us know if we needed to go our not. She said to give him about 30 minutes more to settle down. It was quite swollen, but not bleeding anymore and he was letting us keep ice on it, which was a good thing. with in about 20 minutes he settled down enough and got himself to sleep (still on our laps) we got him tucked in bed (although he wouldn't let us take the cold towel off his face until he was out COLD!) and he slept all night long.

The FUNNY part of all of this happened this morning. Caden woke up, and I asked him if I could look at his nose (thinking for sure he would have some big time bruising or black eyes today) and he let me. He didn't have any really bad brusing, thankfully. I am sure more will come out as the day progresses, but hopefully we got ice on it soon enough to prevent any mega problems. He did say that it still hurt and wouldn't let me touch it to see if I could feel the bone at all. So as I am getting him dressed this morning, he says to me this:

Caden: Mom .... next time I do that
Me: Do what Caden?
Caden: (using his sign and hand gestures mostly) Throw cup down & hit Colin's nose
Me: ?#!$*&?? No Caden, Colin did it on accident, he didn't mean to hurt you!
Caden: Mom..... Next time I do that

*Sigh*
So all this time, we've been trying to teach Caden to fight back when Col is beating the crap out of him, he choose's NOW to retaliate?? Oh Boy!

1 comment:

Burnhams said...

That is a funny story! too bad his nose got in the way though!

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"