Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Friday, February 17, 2012

Imagination Vacation Continues.....

Tuesday Feb 7th ~ Key West!!!

Happy 35th Birthday to Kym ;-)
Nothing better then waking up at 7:00am the first week of February to warm temps in the Beautiful Florida Keys!!

These pictures were actually taken from our Cabin window, so they may be a bit cloudy from the window, but the sun wasn't up all the way yet either, NOR were we fully in port yet either. Taking our slow sail into Key West.

Up & Ready to Go!!! Originally we were planning on just walking around key west. I had 2 destinations that I was determined to get too. Mike however was determined for a couple of weeks prior to the trip that he wanted to take a train ride around the island. So.. with some convincing from Jason & Dan (from the roll call) at our Meet & Greet, I succumbed to the Conch Train tour of Key West.

Silly Mike.
Headed out to Breakfast, but had to get our daily picture together first!
And here is our Conch Train! We had a Great Driver, Dan. He was really nice, had a great sense of humor and was a great narrator as well.
Our ship actually ports at the Naval Base in Key West. Since it's a military base, you can't walk through the gates, you need to be transported either by your excursion, or take a trolley into town that will shuttle you back and forth.

Being docked at the Naval Base, was kind of neat, since we got to see alot of the old military buildings. Here is one here.
Here's a good view of our ship as we were headed out of the port on our train.

The best part of doing the conch was the history that got out of it. Obviously we wouldn't have gotten any of that had we gone walking on our own. I am glad we did it, and the next time I'll be good to just walk around the island a bit now. Key West really blew my mind. It's so serene, colorful and tropical, YET, your still in FLORIDA!! It for sure would be someplace I'd visit in the future and spend time at if given the opportunity.
And here is the "0" mile marker! The beginning of Highway 1. Which is the ONLY way in and out of Key west to the mainland Florida.

Earnest Hemingway's House. I would have like to have visited, however there was a $12.00 per person fee. I am too cheap for that. next time though, I would like to walk around the grounds of it, which you can do for free. 60 cats. yes 60, live on this property. All 60 has 6 toes and are descendants of the original cat who lived there. they never leave the property. How cool!!
Hard to get a good picture from the spot I was sitting in, but here's the Key West Light House.

Ok, So you know how we have squirrels running around everywhere?? In Key West, they don't have wild squirrels. They have Chickens. Yep, Chickens. All over the place. It cracked me up. You heard bawck, bawck, bawck every where. Too funny. Baby chickens are called chicken mcnuggets :-)
The  Southernmost point in the Continental US. This was my #1 place that i wanted to see. So.. I got to see it from the train, but that was it, We never made it back here. that's Ok though. I am sure we'll hit up this island again someday, and I get to stand next to it then. So that guy in my picture?? Yea, I don't know him.
I should have been taking notes, I wish I could remember what all he history was that I learned about all of these pictures. I did take them for a reason.. who knows what reason though!



This here is a house, all made of CORAL!! Yes, coral. How cool is that. Did you know that Coral is endangered??

One of the resorts we passed along the way...
Here is another military fort.....

Ah... the beach. The ONLY beach in Key West. Because of the shape/place of key west in the ocean, they don't get any waves. Did you know that you need waves to make sand? Well you do, and since they can't make sand, they actually have to ship it in. So.. all the sand you see here in the picture, is actually shipped from Fort Lauderdale Florida.

Key West, National Weather Service.


This the middle school.

These little houses are actually called "Shot Gun" houses. Which means the front door, is either to the left or right of the living room, and in a direct line with the door in the rear of the house. So, if someone was to fire a gun in the house, it would go in the front door, and directly out the back.


Key West has lots of eccentric people living about. This particular person thought it would be fun to decorate their car in Sea shells. :-)

For the life of me I can't remember what these trees are called, but there are quite a few of them, where the roots are above ground.

Captains walk.  Way up there is where a captain would watch for boats coming in.

Moped - I had to take of picture cause it said "KYM"CO . LOL

Moped hospital.

Another Shot gun house. I just LOVED all the different colors of the homes.


There's a bar back there... behind that tree. It was significant somehow/way, but I can't remember. It was an Irish bar.

Hey There Mr. Chicken. (rooster)


We had Gloria take a picture of us on the pier. It was just so relaxing and quiet here!

My #2 must do thing Key West?? Hit Up Kermit's Key Lime Shop. Pretty famous shop, they actually ship their pies and good ALL OVER the world. they had everything in here, and everything was infused with Key Lime. Oh My Yum.

Mike & Gloria heading in.

We got our Pie, Gloria got her smoothie, and we headed out to the back deck to enjoy it, and spend some time with the Koi fish! Mike took all these pictures to show my dad, who loves his Koi pond. The koi would come RIGHT up to where you were sitting though and beg for food. Just like an animal. We didn't share though :-)


The Famous Kermit's Key Lime Pie. It was Delicious. The best key lime pie we've ever had hand's down. And it was perfect looking too!

And my amazing Key Lime pie on a stick (dipped in chocolate) my mouth is watering just thinking about it.



Mr Koi says I want Pie!





And we were even lucky enough to get our picture with Kermit!!





These next few pictures were taken in the Key West Toy Factory Toy Store. We needed to find Caden a monkey in case we didn't find one somewhere else, so we ended up in this neat looking thing. It was a broken ship that we got to walk under.




Back on board to eat lunch. Why pay for food at the port when it's free on the ship??



Formal Night!

Formal night was tonight. Here we are getting ready.


After we got back on the ship, we changed and hung out by the pool for the rest of the afternoon. until we got too hot. It was a good few hours, we swam, laid out, went in the hot tub, and I read a bit. Gloria was awesome enough to buy me a drink for my birthday up here too :-) We may or may not have had a few more before heading to the room to take a much deserved nap before dinner!!

Here's the fun force in the atrium doing some fun things with passengers. There were only 2 on this ship, but they are always fun to watch.





Mike all spiffed up.
Me all spiffed up. I guess we clean up well huh?

The Library. I don't think I got pictures of this yesterday. It was always so peaceful in here. This was also our meet up spot for the Behind the Fun tour that we took.

See Mike way down there??


Alligator Fritters!!! Part of Carnivals new menu is the Wouldya ever? Part. There is something outrageous and different on there each day. So I thought I would try alligator fritters. They weren't too bad. I had almost all of one of them, Mike finished them, he like them more then I did.
Our animal for the night. Pig??



After dinner we headed down to the theatre for tonight's show. It was alright. Not the best, compared to other's we've seen on ships, but that's Ok. These tables, were neat looking. they are tables in front of the seats on the first floor. Pretty colors.

Loved the purple look at the curtain.


After the show, we went up to Shangri La to watch Gloria belt out some amazing tunes! She quickly became an honoree Canadian, and here she is singing with them.

I only wish these pictures turned out brighter. Dam camera and darker lights at night.



Up next?? Cozumel Mexico!! And Mike's Birthday!!

No comments:

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"