Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Friday, July 24, 2009

I made my own Laundry Soap!!!

Thanks to Heather for hooking me up with this information! I was mentioning to her how I really need to think of every creative way possible to try and save some money these days. She asked me if I ever thought about making my own laundry soap? Of course I hadn't. I've just begun starting to do the free coupon really looking for deals thing. So she shared with me a blog that she found with the recipe on it. Tonight I went out and got the "goods" and went to work! I can't wait to try this and think that in the end it will save us about $30 per month!


The Ingredients:

1 bar of Fels-Naptha soap ($1.09)
1 Cup of Borax (box was $3.99-we can get about 6 bathes out of this)
1 Cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soap (box was $2.99-we can get about 6 bathes out of this also)
5 gallon bucket/pail for mixing
Scented essential oils (optional) ~ I used a lavender one (jar was $8.99 but this will be used for many many other things and will last us for months/years)



I grated most of the Fels-Napta Bar with our cheese grater. When it got to close to the end, I cut it up in the small chunks. I melted this on the stove with 4 cups of water. (about 20 minutes until melted)

Add the Borax and washing soda and stir until dissolved. I also added my lavender at this point.


Pour into a 5 gallon bucket. Fill with warm or hot water to keep the soap liquid until about 2 inches from the top. Stir. This Apparently has to sit for 24 to thicken up, and stir every couple of hours. After that time, you can transfer it to what ever storage unit you choose. I will probably use empty milk jugs to store mine.



Before we added the water


Mike helping out! He was pretty impressed with this whole idea, I was surprised!

This is it sitting in our corner for us to stir for the next 24 hours. I'll take another picture then for you.


You should use about 1/2 to 1 cup per load depending on the load size/dirt.

No comments:

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"