Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Kindergarden Screenings/Registration

It seems like Just yesterday, we were closing on our house (10 years this Sunday!!!), registering Courtney for Kindergarten and having her screening done. I'll never forget when I was there for her screening, there was another couple there with their kids, a set of triplets, 2 boys and 1 girl. It never occurred to me back then, that all these families on that day, would be families that I'd see at every concert, play, field trip, award assembly, travel out of town with for Class trips, go to PTO meeting with and most of all, would be the families, we'd share Graduation with. Not once, back then, did I think in those terms. It's funny now though, that the same family with those triplets, is the family that I talked to the most while we were on the class trip in Washington DC last May, with our children as 8th graders, getting ready to graduate, and move on to High School together. Now those toddlers, are freshman in high school are getting ready to graduate as adults in just 3.5 years. They go to classes together, Go to church together, go to religion together and will make their confirmations together next year around this time. Its so amazing to watch ALL of these kids, grow up into such great teenagers and adults. To see how they've changed, yet you can still remember them in first and second grade with toothless smiles :)

I never thought that way either when I went through this with Caden. Probably because with him, we didn't know where he would end up in school. He's been in different district schools, BOCES classes, but ultimately, was lucky enough to end up back in our district this year. NOW, I can look at these kids, and know they will be a part of him, for the next 11 years! Thus too, those parents will be the ones, we'll nod and say Hello too at all the events,meetings and trips as well.

Yesterday, Colin had his kindergarten screening. Exactly 10 years after we first experienced it with Courtney. (WOW!!) I look at it so differently then any of the others. Maybe because I KNEW this time. Colin will be the LAST child we will ever register at Cayuga Heights. Once he walks out of these elementary doors in 6 years, we really won't be back there for any academic purposes. It's so odd to think in those terms! This time though I looked at the way it's "meant" to be. All these little 4 year old toddlers, I'll get to watch grow up into young men & women. I'll get to watch them graduate from 8th grade, and take the huge leap into High School. We'll get to go on Field trips with them, go to their concerts, and maybe even take out of town class trips with them too! I looked at each of those children, and KNEW they would be the ones that Colin would someday graduate with, as adults! The ones that he'll get to experience some of the best times of his life with. KNOWING that I've experienced this awesome adventure with Courtney, and got to know so many of these families and children So Very well, I am so excited to have 13 more years to do the same with Caden & Colin.

Have I ever told you how much I LOVE our school district?? I LOVE how small it is. I love that it's only 3 schools. Elementary, Middle and High. So all of those kids, unless they move really are the ones you'll see all the time for the next 13 years! I love that because the schools are so small, you can walk into the elementary school and Courtney's 2nd grade teacher KNOWS who I am, and remembers me pregnant with Caden. Takes the time to invite me to her classroom, and fill me in on her life and children since she had Courtney all those years ago. Obviously god directed us to our home for a reason, I have no doubts it was because of the amazing support with have within our school district.

No comments:

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"