Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Happy 1st Day of Spring!!

What an amazing first day/week of spring we're having. On Saturday it was 78 degrees outside!! Yesterday was 71, today is around 74, and tomorrow?? Close, if not AT 80!! It's so sur-real to see/feel. I feel like I am on vacation in Florida, but working. It was 78 outside in WINTER, in MARCH! :-) it won't last, I know, but that's ok, I'll take what i can get anyway. This coming weekend, will be back in the 40's, but I am ok with that too. We've got our garage set up for summer already, which means that we'll have Less to do when the real warm weather that will stay rolls around in a month or so. I'll take it!!

In other news - We had a med check appt for Colin this morning. We were able to keep him at his same dosages, which is what we wanted, for the next 3 months. We go back on June 12th. We also discussed the major changes we've seen in Colin, AND I was asked the question to compare what life was like before and after meds. Obviously no parent wants to medicate their child at 4 years old. We knew years ago though, that this would be the path we'd follow with Colin, and had come to accept that by this time. The differences are not something that can even be written, or explained so outsiders can understand. I get goosebumps thinking about what life was like before & now. I told him that our home was "ran" by the mood Colin woke up in. And that wasn't usually a good one. Rules were made by Colin. If they weren't we would not have gotten through a day. When I said that, he told me it reminded him of a book, that was recommended to him, that opened his eyes . House Rules by Jodi Picoult. A story about a teenage boy with Aspergers. He said everything I had just said about Colin, reminded him of this story. I feel like this gives me a sense of relief so to speak. When both Caden and Colin were diagnosed with Aspergers, you deal with alot of opinions from outside sources/people. Some family, some friends, some you don't know. do you believe what that doctor said? Why don't you get  a 2nd opinion? are you SURE something is wrong, I think they are fine. So I guess I feel like a DOCTOR telling me that my story reminds him a story he read on a child with aspergers, that he is just verifying what we have already come to accept. He also that everything he knows obviously about children on the specturm, is clinical, (beyond the children he's worked with obviously) and what's he's learned through the years. Sometimes it takes reading a book to understand any part of the autism specturm, and to see how it affects these kiddos. He said it opened his eyes to really understand more. Lots of people have no idea even what ASD is.

Maybe others are in denial, or just don't or won't accept what is.  So anyway - I WILL be downloading this book to my kindle tonight, and I hope everyone else reads it as well!!

3 comments:

Peg said...

Colin's progress, awesome!!! That book... you realize that is fiction and the author is not a parent of a special needs child? The main character seems like he is lower functioning than someone with asperger's IMO. Download it and be the judge for yourself. I wouldn't recommend it personally. There are many blogs out there from real parents of real children that are free and I personally prefer.

The Beyer Family said...

Yes, I do know the book is ficton, however, in writing the book, she used real families and children with Autism, Sat with them, and even had a young adult with Aspergers, who is gifted in writing etc, be the one to proof it before it went to publish, and (said child) made the author change things around and take parts out, because it's not something that would be typical of spectrum childen. She also used a number a therapists and CSI agents to gather her info, and base it as much on reality as possible. I actually read the interview she did regarding the book, which is what spiked my interest even more, becuase she DID base it off of actual children on the spectrum. I am excited to download it and read it!

Jamie said...

I read that book almost a year ago......interesting. You will have to tell me what you think ?

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"