Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thankful for old friendships rekindled.


We all know how popular facebook is now a days, it's the new myspace. even more so for "our" generation as opposed to the younger crowd. I've had the opportunity to reconnect with so many lost friends over the past year. Friends that I went to high school with and Friends from even before that! There had been one friend, DeNae, that I had been searching for for years ~ Literally. I've always told Mike that someday I am going to find her and we'll meet up again someday. I had last seen her when her family moved from Buffalo to Utah in my senior year of high school, I was so bummed, her and I had this amazing friendship. About 8 months ago, thanks to facebook - she found ME! It was so exciting to see pictures of her and her lovely children. I can't wait until he day that we can reconnect in person. It's hard when so many states separate you. Not to mention jobs and family. It's not like we can jump on a plane and be done with it. I know in time it will all work itself out. I was not much of a school person. I hated school and couldn't wait to graduate. I was ready to be done with all of that drama. I've "friended" alot of those old school friends and met up with a bunch of them too. Some you just don't have much of a connection to anymore, or lost that connection way back when - I am ok with that. Others, it's like you never left!! My friend Kelly and I have reconnected in person quite a few times! I've been to her home, she's been to ours and our children get along great! She even married one of the guys who graduated with us, so I got a 2 for 1 deal there! Mike and Rob hit it off pretty well too, so that helps. Mike always laughs when I end up re-meeting someone from way back when. He says how in the world do you know so many people?? :-) Courtney on the other hand, thinks it's not fair that I as her mom, have more facebook "friends" then she does! I guess she doesn't quite understand that I've been around longer, that is the only reason why! I've found quite a few people that I used to babysit for, all grown up and married with kids also - that only makes me feel older (but it is nice to see them again)


Last weekend I had the chance to reconnect in person with probably one of people I have known the longest. We have known each other since we were 4 years old. We lived in the same neighborhood and went to the same elementary school for a while. Pam and I were pretty close friends up until I moved to a different neighborhood & switched schools as well. We obviously like most kids, lost contact after that. When I was 16, I got a job at McDonald's not too far from where I originally lived/grew up. Not too longer after I started working there, so did Pam! We quickly reconnected and our friendship started like it never left off. When I was 19, working 3 jobs and growing more independent (and pregnant!) I quit McDonald's - the last time I had seen Pam was when I was pregnant with Courtney, so 13 years ago (wow!!) A few months ago we too reconnected on facebook and again started talking like we never stopped! It turns out that when we moved into our house 7 years ago, her and her husband lived only around the block! They no longer do, they now own a home in Marilla, which is still only 10 minutes from us. Pam and her adorable daughter Haley come over to play with the boys and visit on friday and we spent 3+ hours reminiscing!The kids are close in age (Col is 2, Haley 3 and Caden 4) and got along really wel. It was so wonderful! We both agreed that when a friendship has been lost and restarted so many time throughout life that it's meant to be. We promised to keep in touch and not lose one another again. I am looking forward to going out to visit her this coming weekend and hopefully Mike and her hubby will get to meet soon as well. Pam is awaiting the news of her 2nd child anytime now and I am so glad that I will be here to join her in that blessing!


So today I am thankful for not only lost friendships rekindled and Facebook, but also for the Internet - without this resource NONE of this would be possible! And alot of who I am now wouldn't be possible as well. From online support groups, to online dating (and meeting my hubby) to online friendships (some of the strongest friendships I have is via the computer!) to shopping(had to put that in there right??!!) to reconnecting with long lost Friends and keeping those close by your side!

No comments:

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"