Life is an endless Developmental process. We all have unique Abilities and Disabilities. The Day we choose Awareness instead of ignorance, is the DAY we start to see everyone as equal. Gary Spears, DSP



Monday, April 9, 2012

Hurtful Words

Ever experience a time in life when someone has said something about you that was just so strong, it was hurtful. So much so, that you've just never forgotten it? About anything part of? Not the time of day, or the place you were when it happened. Sometimes, even the clothing you had on.  I have. Until recently, I've only had it happen twice. Both of course, have always been about my weight. One was about a week after I returned to work after giving birth to Caden (and subsequent severe PPD that kept me OUT of work for 5 months). The other was while I was pregnant with Colin. Both instances happened at work.  I won't talk about either of them, since all these years later, those small words/actions have always been embedded in my head and I am sure it's not as if I'll forget them anytime soon. AND if I do, I am sure once I read this blog post, they'll come back to me anyway.

As I said, there was 2 instances until recently. Now, there are 3.  This one wasn't at work.  It was in my personal life, but alas, about weight again. Which really pisses me off. Seriously. I know I am over-weight. It's something I struggle with, and have for many many years. Since childhood really. Although looking back at pictures, what I thought was "big" wasn't really "big" since I am obviously bigger now and say, I wish I could be that "thin" again. Anyway. I won't get into specifics. I am not sure if this person reads my blog or not, and I don't want to make others uncomfortable. And of course, it hurt me deep enough, that almost a week later, I am STILL thinking about it, and finally even mentioned to Mike that it happened because I couldn't stop thinking about. So, I am sure this will be another one of those situations that will always be embedded in me. What I was wearing, who I was with, Where I was etc etc etc.

My point - Think before you speak people! Words hurt people! Especially when it's about such a sore topic to begin with. If you see someone overweight, leave them be! They obviously KNOW they are overweight, and don't WANT to be the way they are. You have NO idea why they are the way they are, or what they are or aren't doing to not be "that" person anymore.  Don't make ANY type of comment about anything. You never know when you might break a person.

Off my soapbox now. Thank you.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

OMG Kym I am soo sorry.
I love you chickie no matter what you look like !

The Beyer Family said...

Thanks Jamie :) I felt SO much better after I wrote this post. I got it off my chest, out of my mind, and felt so much better about me :) Love you!

"When a loved one becomes a memory ~ That memory becomes a treasure"